Monday, June 20, 2011

Ledisi- "Pieces of Me"

Ledisi is a singer, songwriter, record producer, CEO & actress. She is from New Oreleans, Louisiana and began her career in the music industry back in the late 1990's. She was part of a group named Anibade. After being unsuccessful in getting her group a major deal she decided to form her own label and call it LeSun Records along with Sundra Manning. She released her debut and sophomore albums under LeSun Records before gettin a major deal with Verve Forecast. She recieved two grammy nominations for both her third and fourth albums. One thing that I like about Ledisi is even when she wasn't able to get a major deal she took it upon herself to release her music under her own label. She took the saying "If they won't give it to you, you have to take it yourself". As an aspiring singer thats inspiartion. That just lets me know that no matter what if I know I'm good at something than I have to keep pushing with or without support, or with or without help from anyone. I'll admit when I first heard of Ledisi I didn't pay her any mind. I would see her music videos and she flip the channel. I never really gave her a chance. However after entering high school where I study vocal music I was able to learn that I need to be more open to different kinds of music. I learned to value and a appreciate an artist for the kind of voice they have and not the kind of beat they have. When I say Ledisi has an amazing voice, I mean this women can sing her ass off. When I seen her sing at the 2010 Black Girls Rock Award Show in the "Four Women" performance I literally was in tears. No matter how high or low. That's one of my goals as an artist. If I can touch people with my voice and bring them to tears, than my job is done. Ledisi's new single "Pieces of Me" is off of her new album Pieces of Me, released last week. I remember hearing the song, but I had forgot about it. When Ledisi performed on 106 & Park last week thats when I remembered the song and said I had to make a post on it. This song is really great as she expresses the pieces that make her the women that she currently is. I believe many women can relate to this song, because we all have pieces to us that make us the people that we are.



1 comment: