Thursday, August 4, 2011

Throwback Thursday: Goapele- "Closer"

For this weeks throwback song I decided to go with a more calming neo-soul feel. This weeks song is "Closer" by Goapele off of her album Even Closer, released back in 2002. I first heard this song in the movie Honey with Jessica Alba, Joy Bryanat, Romeo and more. I personally found the song to give a nice vibe to the scene in which it was featured. However I never really paid it no mind because in my mind I only viewed it as a song in a movie. Back then had I been more passionate about music like I am now I would of did some research and found out all that I needed to know. Better late then never I guess. Last night Goapele's performance of "Closer" aired on BET on the Mo'Nique Show. Thats when it took me back to when the movie was first released and all I could think was "AHHH, those were the good days". Goapele along with her family began their own label called Skyblaze Recordings to oversee her music career. In 2004 their label was picked up by Columbia Records for world distribution of her music. Artist like Goapele and Ledisi are inspirational because they don't wait to get signed to labels. They begin their own labels, sign themselves and make their careers happen on their own. Look at them now, that just makes me wanna begin my own label and I'm only seventeen. I think I'll call it PRINCESS DIARIES RECORDS ^_^


I'm Moving Closer to My Dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment